Student Internships 2017–18
The submission deadline for this position was Tuesday Jan. 24, 4pm. If you have further questions, please contact email@example.com.
The central mission of the Raza Resource Centro (Raza RC) is to provide a welcoming and supportive space for critical programming around a broad range of Chicana/o Latina/o social justice issues where students can learn about their identity, academic and professional opportunities, and trends affecting the Latina/o community. The strategic goal of Raza RC Interns is to program, provide services, and plan events that help create a sense of home and retain Latina/o students while serving all members of historically under-represented groups. Interns are the foundation of Raza RC and are situated to be in continual conversation with the Director and Program Coordinator about what student centeredness means at UC San Diego. Students will be chosen as Interns based on their proven leadership experience, potential to contribute to the mission and development of the Raza Resource Centro, and understanding best practices in retention and graduation of Chicana/ Latina/o students.
- Provide front desk staff coverage as needed
- Assist with Raza RC administrative duties including data entry, photocopying, typing, and customer service
- Assist in facility maintenance including; basic cleaning, furniture rearrangements, and supply inventory
- Publicize Raza RC events through various outlets such as student organizations meeting visits, Raza RC social media platforms, and campus flyering
- Participate in Camus Community Centers trainings, meetings, and workshops as needed.
- Develop student track programming in the Spring Quarter for Avanzando Juntos Transition Day
- Aid Yield and Retention interns in implementing Overnight Program activities and assist in logistical support for the SPACES Overnight Program
- Plan and implement winter quarter Spoken Word event in conjunction with all RRC interns
- Attend and assist in fall quarter's RRC Open House
- Attend Raza RC summer, winter, and spring retreats, when applicable
- Attend and at times assist with weekly all staff meetings
- Attend one or two one-on-one meetings per quarter with Director
- Attend one-on-one meetings with Assistant Director, depending on need of intern and their programming
- Represent the Centro and all other Community Centers at tabling events during the academic year
- Apply and present at a national conference, when applicable and pending time approval
- Submit feedback and recommendation for future development of Raza RC
- Submit quarterly and year-end written reports for inclusion in the Raza RC annual report
- Other duties as assigned
The cultura and arte interns will be responsible for the development of arte and performance programs and events at Raza RC that highlight the rich cultural history and contributions of Latina/os, Chicana/os and Latin America.
- Coordinate and implement Raza RC Dia De Los Muertos Program during the Fall quarter including but not limited to week long workshops and Dia de los Muertos Festiva
- Coordinate and implement one Chicanx/ Latinx and/or MesoAmerican art and history themed art program or reception in winter quarter
- Coordinate and implement one Chicana/o Latina/o art and performance themed art program in the spring quarter that showcases art forms beyond 2D artwork (ex: music, dance, performance art, spoken word, etc.)
- Assist the Director and Assistant Director with the continuation of the student mural project
- Use online social media outlets to publicize Raza RC art, history, and performance events (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
- Research, organize, and maintain art supplies in Raza RC storage and take inventory of supplies
- Assist the Assistant Director with the planning and execution of art related programs & projects
The yield and access interns will be responsible for the coordination of existing yield and access programs and the development of new programming that offer effective approaches in the enrollment of Latina/o and Chicana/o students at UC San Diego.
- Coordinate and implement the UC Insights Student Conference during the Fall Quarter prior to the closing of UC San Diego admittance application
- Function as the main student coordinator for the RRC in the Spring Overnight program, including but not limited to any planning meetings with career staff or other student coordinators, trainings, phone banking, and recruitment of student hosts
- Must coordinate and implement at least one high school and one community college visit to UCSD in the Spring Quarter, including but not limited to coordinating the campus tour, student panel, RRC presentation, lunch and transportation, pending budget approval
- Use online social media outlets to publicize Raza RC yield and access programs (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
- Research, organize, and implement effective retention programs at Raza RC
- Assist the Assistant Director with the planning and execution of yield and access related programs & projects
The social justice intern will be responsible for the development of new programming that help students understand the intersectionality of community and activism.
- Coordinate and implement one student centered historical recovery project on student activism at UCSD/RRC in the fall quarter
- Coordinate a collaborate event with various student organizations concerning a relevant current political and environmental topic during the winter quarter
- Coordinate and implement a Cesar Chavez themed workshop in the Spring quarter
- Assist the Civic Engagement Intern, in collaboration with Union del Barrio, in the implementation of a college version of Escuelita Aztlan
- Assist the Director and Assistant Director with campus outreach and engagement efforts
- Use online social media outlets to publicize Raza RC social justice programs (i.e. Facebook, Instagram, Newsletter, etc.)
The civic engagement intern will be responsible for the development of new programming that create civic opportunities for UC San Diego students to serve San Diego Latina/o Chicana/o communities and connect community leaders with UC San Diego students.
- Coordinate and implement Escuelita Aztlan programming in conjunction with Union del Barrio coordinator including but not limited to info sessions for prospective students, training sessions and manual, transportation for UCSD students and inventory of supplies
- Assist the Social Justice Intern, in collaboration with Union del Barrio, in the implementation of a college version of Escuelita Aztlan
- Collaborate with the Assistant Director and Director with community partnerships
- Use online social media outlets to publicize Raza RC civic engagement programming (i.e. Facebook, Instagram, Newsletter etc.)
- Research, organize, and implement effective civic engagement programs at Raza RC
- Assist the Assistant Director with the planning and execution of civic engagement related programs & projects
The advertising and marketing intern is responsible for the maintenance of the Raza RC newsletter, website, and social media.
Identify and coordinate weekly advertisement, flyers, and opportunities for the Raza RC newsletter
Aid in circulating the Raza RC newsletter on a weekly basis
Update and circulate the Raza RC list serve
Identify and coordinate weekly advertisement, flyers, and opportunities for Raza RC social media
Use online social media outlets to publicize Raza RC programs (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
Research, organize, and update the UC San Diego Raza Resource Centro Website
• Assist the Program Coordinator with the planning and development of flyers and social media capacities
• Photograph, document, and archive Raza RC events and programs
The intern will support the Director and Assistant Director in developing strategic community partnerships, Raza Resource Centro initiatives and programs aimed at increasing and retaining Latina/o students at UC San Diego.
- Organize an intermural team for the fall quarter, including but not limited to the gathering of individuals, creating meeting and practice times, ordering supplies and maintaining accurate record of all participants
Research, organize, and implement effective retention programs at Raza RC including but not limited to cis male retention, queer/trans retention, and transfer students during the winter quarter
- Coordinate and implement one Latino youth campus visit during the spring quarter
- Assistant the Director and Assistant Director with community partnerships
- Active member of the Male Retention Working Group
- Research and prepare reports on latest trends on latino male retention
- Assist the Assistant Director in the supervising of the Chicanx/Latinx Queer Monthly meetings
The program assistant intern works with the program coordinator and director to coordinate and assist with Raza RC programs, organization, and assessment.
Act as the principle coordinator of one self-initiated community building event per quarter
Develop and implement stress relief activities at the end of each quarter
Assist the Assistant Director and Director with the coordination of Raza RC signature programs including but not limited to Avanzando Juntos and Overnight ProgramAssist the Assistant Director in the planning and implementation of the Chicanx/Latinx graduation ceremony
- Organize and asses Raza RC supplies
Use online social media outlets to publicize Raza RC programs (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
Assist in event programming for Raza RC quarterly events
- Help photograph, document, and archive Raza RC events and programs
Ability to understand and articulate issues of race, class, gender, educational equity, and cross-cultural communication
Ability to work within the Raza RC Mission and Strategic Plan
- Ability to work with a diverse and broad population, including students, graduate assistant, faculty and administrators
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage time and multiple projects
Proven Experience working collectively as part of a team
Ability to work with faculty, students, staff, and community members
Working knowledge of desktop publishing and PC computers
Familiarity and understanding of social media and networking outlets
Experience with designing flyers
Must be able to work some nights and weekends
Availability to program events in the evening is a plus
Must be available Mondays 2:30-4:00pm and Fridays 10:30am-12pm during Spring quarter and Wednesdays 3-4:30pm and Fridays 10:30am-12pm during the 2017-2018 academic year
Finalists must be available (no exceptions):
- Overnight Program: April 6-8th (more details on time to come)
- Triton Day: Saturday April 8th
- Spring Quarter 2017: Mondays 2:30pm-4:00pm and Fridays 10:30am-12:00pm
- Transition Event: Friday June 9th, 2017, 11:00am-1:00pm
- 2017-2018 academic year: Wednesdays 3:00pm-4:30pm, Fridays 10:30am-12:00pm
- Mandatory RRC Training: Sept. 13-23rd, 2017
- Mandatory Com6 retreat: Oct 6-8th
- End of the Year Celebration: June 8th, 2018, 11:00am-1:00pm
$12.50 Per Hour (maximum of 10 hours a week)
- Opportunity to earn academic credit throughout the internship period
- Opportunity to gain valuable leadership, teambuilding, and organizational skills while giving back to the community
- Represent the Raza Resource Center to the greater UC San Diego community, including current and prospective students and parents, staff, and faculty.
- Possibility of receiving letters of recommendations for future opportunities.
- Opportunity to attend national and regional conferences with partial and/or all expenses paid.